I can not believe I am about to start what so many high school moms here call “the first of the lasts”! My son is starting his senior year of high school next week! Where did the time go? Soon I will be experiencing my first lasts much like I have watched so many friends before me post about on social media. The last first day of school, last back to school night, last Fall break, last Chinese New Year, last Interim (high school trips to Australia, Turkey, Jordan, Thailand etc. I want to be a high schooler!!! Don’t you need chaperones?), and last year of making school lunches just to name a few! Yipppeeee…UGH, sob:(
I have such mixed emotions. I have been waiting for this day for what seems like forever so I can move back to the US to be nearer to my family but at the same time I don’t want to rush time. I want to enjoy my last year in Hong Kong. My 23rd year in Hong Kong to be exact!
Someone asked me if I have a list of things I want to do before I leave Hong Kong and while I have thought about a “bucket list” I’m not sure I am motivated. It’s no secret these last 8 years have been challenging. Today I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and wiped out emotionally, don’t have the same excitement I usually have before a new school year starts and find myself daydreaming about being near my family and my dogs experiencing their firsts of living in the US!
So for now I will keep doing the things that make me happy (cooking and baking and painting) and stay connected to those I love and trust. Watch out family and friends! I am a little weepy at times.
Today, I am cherishing having one of my daughters home from college for another week (we just had a yummy Thai dinner). Soon my other daughter will be here for 3 weeks (wishing they had some overlap time) and then it will be almost October! Oh my gosh anxiety is setting in! Ok, family and friends this is when you step in, PLEASE! AND today I got quotes from the dog exporters. This is happening!
“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.”
Protein Packed Nut Butter
I love this nut butter! It is full of wonderful proteins and NO sugar like the store bought brands
***recipe requires a heavy duty food processor
2 Cups whole almonds
2 T Chia seeds
2 T whole flax seeds
2 T Hemp hearts
2-3 T Maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
2-3 T Coconut oil (I use virgin organic unrefined coconut oil)
1/2 t Cinnamon
Dash of salt
1/2 t Vanilla or vanilla bean (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 300F and prepare a baking sheet with baking paper
2. In a small bowl add the almonds, chia seeds, hemp, and maple syrup and mix
3. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. It will be sticky with the maple syrup. Use a rubber spatula to scrape all the good stuff onto the baking sheet.
4. Pour nuts into food processor, add 2 T of coconut oil and process for a couple of minutes. You may find that the mixture is dry. If so stop and scrape down and begin processing again. I do this about 5 or 6 times during the process. If it becomes to dry begin adding some more coconut oil. I can usually add 1 more T and that is all that is needed but you can experiment by adding 1 t at a time so it isn’t oily.
5. Once you have the right consistency keep processing until you have a smooth drippy nut butter consistency. It should be pourable. Not like water pourable but loose enough to come out of food process and into a bowl fairly easily with a spoon or spatula.
6. Store in a glass container and enjoy!