Now that the house is decorated, minus the tree that arrives this week, and some shopping has been accomplished it is time to bake! I bake and give it away as presents to our doctors, priests, tennis coach, vet, dog groomers (one of my dogs barks the whole time she is at groomers so it is the least I can do), and the wonderful people at the American Club who are so kind to me all year. It is my way to say thank you to these people for being in my life and enriching my life.
Some of my favorites are this popcorn, Hello Dolly bars (like 7 layer bars), Chex mix, matzah crunch, cheese biscuits (my grandmother’s recipe-biscuit in the British sense, so like a cracker), gingerbread cookies, and peppermint bark. Baking is therapeutic for me and there is nothing better than sharing a meal or treat with people in your life!
This recipe is super easy. The worst part is this popcorn is addicting. It is hard to eat just a little, but that’s ok, go ahead and indulge and share with a friend or loved one.
Holiday Caramel Popcorn
6 cups popped microwave popcorn, 1 box which has 3 pouches (I like butter and use Baker’s Secret brand. We don’t many choices here)
2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1 c butter, 2 sticks
1/2 c light corn syrup
2 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
Preheat oven to 250F
1. Put popped popcorn into a large roasting pan. I like to use a disposable (that I reuse) turkey aluminum pan
2. Put brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a medium to large sized pot and bring to a boil. Stir to incorporate the butter.
3. Let mixture boil without stirring for about 5 minutes.
4. Take off heat and add the vanilla and soda. Stir carefully because it may spatter. The baking soda will make it foam up and double in size and be fluffy (hence the medium to large pot)
5. Pour over the popcorn and stir to coat.
6. Bake for 1 hour, stirring after each 20 minutes. Let cool and then break apart